‘Muriel’ the Micra started life as a humble family run-around and was bought cheap to do the Preston road rally as a ‘wrecker’ and to be scrapped after that. However she survived and over time was slowly specced up being converted from basic road rally spec, to enduro rally spec and then stage rally spec.
Then after selling my old rally car, I invested further developments in the car with a number of Grp. A modifications.
Here is the specification of ‘Muriel’ at the moment. At the bottom of the page is a list of intended further modifications.
Standard Micra ‘Tropic’ Shell – basic low spec non sun-roof shell in Nissan Flame Red (AJ4). Fitted with a weld-in cage be-spoke made by Cyclone Motorsport, fitted with a double rear cross and harness bars, which attach to the shell on both the A & B pillars. Nicky Grist FIA Spec 3″ 6-point Harnesses. MSA Spec plumbed in fire extinguisher and electrical cut-off switch. Major trim retained to stay road rally legal. New sills with WRC style sill stand mounts. Front and rear upper strut braces and lower front strut brace. OMP TRS-E FIA Spec Bucket Seats. Seam welded in engine bay, floor pan and rear half of car.
Engine : Standard 1348cc CGA3 bottom end, fitted to a CG3 ported & polished head and inlet manifold fitted with Grp. A (773) Cams with 1600cc injectors, Grp A. Airbox and Grp. A Exhaust system including a cat replacement pipe and flexi joint. Magnecor Compeition ‘Red’ Ignition Leads, Standard Nissan ECU with additional Nistune daughterboard. Mapped by Fusion Motorsport. Bosch fuel Filter (F5326 0 450 905 326), Additional sequential shift light fitted. Uprated ‘Nismo’ and homemade engine and gearbox mounts. Lighter battery (~4kgs lighter than standard) – HB-056.
Engine fully stripped, cleaned and rebuilt in 2017 by Matt Humphris Motorsport, new parts fitted; new block, rings, block honed and skimmed, lightened flywheel, new timing chains and tensioners, new exhaust valves and guides, new valve springs, new big end and crank bearings, and a polish of the crank.
Standard Nissan Micra 1.0 Gearbox with 4.92 final drive, with a Sure-trac slipper diff. Fully re-built by Matt Humphris Motorsport in 2017.
Suspension: Spax All Round. Coilover’s on the front (250-40 springs) with ‘helper’ springs and Forest spec rear dampers and uprated springs (Forest events) / -80mm Tarmac Spec progressive rear springs (Tarmac events). OEM front and rear ARB’s. Seam welded front wishbones, fitted with Whiteline bushes, including Caster increasing bushes and front ARB links. Front & rear ARB mounts fitted with poly bushes. Strengthened rear beam by Matt Humphris Motorsport.
Small ‘DTM’ style mirrors.
Brakes : Nissan Almera (N15) 1.4 232mm dia vented discs, and calipers (larger dia. piston) running EBC ‘Ultimax’ pads or bespoke made Mintex F4R pads for stage rallying, with additional cooling ducting. WRC ‘Style’ Upright hydraulic handbrake and bias valve fitted (removed for road rally spec events). Humphris Motorsport Rear Disc Brake Conversion, running solid discs and Nissan pads. All with Motul RBF660 Racing Brake Fluid
LED 3rd high level brake light
LED Light Bar & LED corner lights.
Weight (3/4 tank of fuel & no crew) : 851 kg
Future possible / planned modification :-
– Remove more weight (42.057 kgs removed, after initial build !)
– Long Term / when I win a lot of money! – ‘Dog’ Box with LSD
– ITB’s and a full kit -car spec Micra!
Minnie the MGZR, is a cheaper ‘play’ car we bought to reduce the number of events done in the Micra now that it is quite developed. Like the Micra is was bought cheap and over the last year has been slowly developed when the right parts have come up at the right price.
Car Spec : ’02 Plate MGZR 160. 1796cc VVC engine. All parts are standard apart from….
- Gaz coilovers all round, with rally ‘Turner / Rover Centre’ spec springs.
- Safety Devices rear cage & door bars
- 6-point FIA harnesses
- Seam welded front subframes, plated front subframe mounts, additional bracing on spotlight and rad mounts and plated front strut towers
- Plated and welded rear strut tower top plates
- Poly bush engine sump / reaction mount
- Poly bushed front tie bar mounts & front wishbones
- Sumpguard, (fitted with 10.8 M10 30 & 40mm bolts), fuel tank & brake / fuel line guards
- Front & rear strut braces
- Small ‘DTM style’ mirrors
- KMaps 170 ‘Race’ ECU
- Quaife ATB Diff, with Castrol B373 Racing Gear Oil
- Dimpled and grooved front discs
- EBC Yellow Front Race Pads
- Brake cooling ducting to front brakes
- Second hand FIA (out of date) bucket seats
- MGZR rear beam with drum brakes (for a better handbrake)
- Cheap CDA style air filter
- OEM Fuel Filter (copies known to cause issues) (WJN101192)
- LED reversing light
- Engine bay, boot, map & marshal LED lights
- Cibie Oscars Spot lights
- Stiffer gearbox mount
- Deep dish steering wheel
- ‘Cheap’ Smart Phone on lightweight mount used as a trip meter
- Sound proofing removed
- Additional 12v sockets
- Front brake heat shields removed
- ‘Race’ center exhaust pipe with no silencer, modified to follow car floor profile & stainless steel custom back box
- Additional engine bay cooling fan
- Radiator fan over ride switch
Weight removed from standard : 51.961 kgs